What a difference a week makes.
The weather is beautiful and calm today. I was talking to my friend Sandra and we were discussing different outlooks on life; Sandra said of someone in her inimitable ES ( eastern shore!) manner, "she wouldn't be happy in a pie factory." I loved her expression because it made me smile, and it made me think about what it takes to make us happy. Obviously, it is different for all of us. For me, the older I get, the simpler that answer is. Like this morning when I pulled into EV. The first thing I did was look for the babies and there they were nestled contentedly in the marsh grass. Whew! There were still 4 instead of the 3 that I thought I saw the other day. I think that there is something important about a constancy of vision in art and in nature. In the pond , I am seeing a living process . I am seeing a struggle to beat all odds --to survive no matter what life brings ...the occasional snapping turtle to the goslings, for example. For all of nature is a struggle against the elements and natural enemies. I am looking at the real deal here..not just a moment in time but a period of life coping, teaching and surviving. It is easy to see why some naturalists spend their lives just studying one group of animals.....why Monet painted Giverny so very many times. They were looking for depth in knowledge.......and it suddenly occured to me.....right at this particular moment in time, to tell you the truth, I feel very happy. But that's just me. What makes you happy?
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment